Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Baltimore Comic Convention Aftermath!!!

I just got back today via a 20 hours train ride on Amtrak. (7 hours of breakdown and delay) But despite that, I'm extremely happy. Having come back from my first tabling at a convention, I feel fired up, inspired and passionate. Baltimore Comic Convention has been the best ever comic con for me. Many thanks to Marc Nathan, Brad Tree, the staff from the Baltimore Comic Con team and Matt + Suzanne from the Mike Wieringo Scholarship. Without them, I would never have the opportunity to come to the convention as a guest with so much fun. 

YES, FUN.

This convention has changed my own perspective on my artwork, given me more faith and confidence and also showed me how much I wanted to become an artist. It also showed me that I like to talk to people, or should I say I can't stop talking to people. I really like love the industry. I've always been on the other side of the table and even then, I would dream about having my own table and the coolness of being able to draw for others one day. Never did I know that I'll be sitting in a convention without leaving my chair the entire day. (Besides peeing and going to the con auction.) 


Me with Matt Wieringo and his wife/my new "sister", Suzanne Wieringo

Once the show opened, my buddy Eryk and I sat down and got our first con sketch. The next time we got to stand up and walk, the convention was over. We were having so much fun talking to people and sketching all day.

Pre-show before the crowd came in. That's my booth right there!


Throughout the day, people who bought the 2012 Baltimore Comic Con book would drop by to get signatures from us. It was like a treasure hunt because with X amount of signature, you will be given a free print. The best thing is, it gave me and Eryk a lot of face time and people would come talk to us about our work. For me, I was always a huge indie comic reader and I would ask the crowd what they've been reading. The conversations would then switch to other subjects and suddenly, I found myself talking about life with complete strangers. During day two, I lost 30% of my voice and even then, I felt compelled to just make that connection to try and know more people. I was like a baby exposed to life and I wanted to know everyone and what comics, prints or originals they bought. At one point I was talking too much and I forgot to finish con sketches. (^__^) I wished I had taken photographs of all the sketches I did.


Zombies!!!

 There's always room for a batman and some Chibi avengers.

So many great couples from the con. We were all laughing, joking and chatting away a midst the busy convention. I wish the con would never end. If only...

Funny story. The lady love my original ink drawing and the husband asked for the price. He hesitated but decided to buy it for his wife and as he was about to pay me, I gave him a discount. I told my pals about it and they all asked me later, "Why did you do that?"

I love doing this sketch, 2 by 1 inch rocketeer fan art.


Each day after the convention, we would hang out at the hotel bar and talk to other artists. It was great because the hotel we were staying in, Hyatt Regency Baltimore was beside the convention center. It was like a mini party for me as I catch up with friends and my idols on how well their day went by. It was also at the bar where I learn about convention tips and tricks from the pros.

Silly me trying to take a picture even though I know there would be reflection.

Eryk trying to text his lovely wife Kate. Or maybe he was texting someone else. LOLx


All in all, I had an extremely enjoyable time at Baltimore Comic Con. I got to know more about Mike Wieringo after talking to Suzanne and seeing Matt doing con sketches made me really happy. Matt is a great humble guy and both he and Suzanne have been working hard behind the scenes to get the Mike Wieringo Scholarship going. They have help made Eryk and my education possible and I can't thank them enough. If you could spare some donations, please visit http://www.ringoscholarship.com/. I also wished I had stopped and close up shop earlier at my booth to go walk around and talk to others. I thank many of you, including artists who dropped by. Next time I'll really keep my promise and go to all your booths! I also regret not buying 3 prints that I saw during the con. Alright, time to sleep.


This collector won the auction for my artwork! I told him all the secrets and Easter eggs in the drawing. He is an awesome awesome guy!

 The 2012 Baltimore Comic Con Year Book. I think this is the first of its kind. I am so honored to be in the book with all these amazing masters.

 My final colored submission beside Frank Quitely's piece. His and David Peterson's illustration were my favorite.

I bought a Mike Wieringo print and donated some money back into the scholarship! How could anyone ever resist or not buy this right??!!?!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Nick -

    Great meeting you at BCC! And your work was displayed beyond table 1907; my wife recognized your auctioned poster on display at the winner's table.

    Wishing you ongoing success -
    John Nellis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, thank you so much. Eryk's work is awesome and his art was also auctioned. It has been my pleasure meeting you and your wife.

    ReplyDelete