Thursday, April 19, 2012

Bakuman, バクマン Series COMPLETE. Highly Recommended

In the November of 2008, I started following the new comic series by Tsugumi Ohba and artist Takeshi Obata who were the creators of DEATH NOTE. These two artist wrote/drew a new comic about (guess what?) comics! The series talks about two 14 years old Mangaka and Writer working towards a dream. And one of them had a pledge with a beautiful classmate: The pledge was, if their comic becomes an anime eventually and if she becomes the voice actor of that anime, they will both get married. 

The series wasn't a typical battle manga, but had the density and weight of one. (Battles between Mangakas competing in Shonen Jump Magazine) It had distinct characters throughout the series. The dialog and emotions were really well written and drawn. It showcase the struggles of an artist and writer and how fans affected their work and life. Most importantly, it was around the time where I decided to get back to art which probably meant that it spoke to me much much more. I've been a fan and have all the books until volume 7 right before I came to the States. At times when I was low, this book encourage me of what it takes to become an artist, in particular, a comic artist. 

If you haven't read about the series, don't know about it, I highly recommend that you give it a try. There is romance, friendship, hard work, passion, pain, politics and most importantly, reality in this comic. The whole series is still available online dubbed by fan subs but I highly encourage you buy the book and support the artist. 




1 comment:

  1. aww, it does sound like a sweet and interesting read. I'll have to keep an eye out for it :)

    ReplyDelete